Change of Degree

F1 & J1 Students Changing Degree Level or Program

If you change your degree program within Cornell University, you MUST ask the Office of Global Learning to update your I-20 or DS-2019. You must complete this procedure within the grace period after you finish your current program (60 days for F1 and 30 days for J1) unless you are using work authorization after your graduation.

How to Apply

If you are admitted to the Cornell Graduate School, the graduate school admissions office will send you the change of level application form. The I-20 or DS-2019 will usually be issued within 1 week after you submit the application.

You may only complete this request for your I-20 or DS-2019 AFTER you have completed the proper admission procedures with the graduate school or your professional school admissions representative.

If you are admitted to a professional program such as the Law school, or the Johnson Graduate School of Management, you may request a change of level form by asking the admissions office of that program, or by emailing the Office of Global Learning to request a change of level application form.

Please Note

This procedure might extend the end date of your I-20 or DS-2019 but will not extend the visa stamp in your passport. If you have an expired visa stamp in your passport, it is ok to remain in the US but the next time you travel out of the US and need to re-enter, you will still need to apply for a new visa stamp to re-enter the US.