Continue Your Visa Status

As you continue your studies in F1 or J1 status, either at Cornell, or at another school in the US, there may be various procedures you need to complete to keep your visa status valid. Below and linked at the left you will find information about these procedures.

Extending Your I-20 or DS-2019

The end date of your immigration status is called the "program end date" on your I-20 or DS-2019. If you are unable to complete your course of study by that time, you must apply for an extension of the I-20 or DS-2019 before the program end date. If you do not complete the extension before that date, you will be out of status.

Leave of Absence, Health Leave, In Absentia Registration

You may need to take a leave of absence while you are at Cornell, either for personal or health reasons. You may also need to register in absentia if you are a graduate student and you need to complete research at a distant location.

Change of Degree Program or Level

If you are changing degree levels within Cornell University, the graduate school or the professional school who admitted you will work with the ISSO to produce an updated I-20 or DS-2019 for you once you have been admitted and have provided financial support statements to them.

Transferring Out of Cornell to another school

If you plan to transfer to another school or to go on to another school after you graduate from Cornell, the ISSO will need to complete the immigration transfer procedure.

Graduating Soon

As you near your graduation, it is a good idea to come into the ISSO to discuss your future plans, and what procedures you might need to complete in order to go on to the next phase of your life in the US.