Use the buttons on the left to find useful information about your visa status, working in the United States, and more. International Services advisors are ready to help if you have further questions.

Drop-in Advising Hours

Monday–Friday: 10:00–12:00 and 1:00–4:00

Your visa status is not the same as the visa in your passport!

Except for Canadians, all international students apply at the U.S. consulate for an entry visa stamp. This stamp is only used to enter the country. Once you are in the United States, you are allowed to stay—even after the entry visa in your passport expires—as long as you maintain valid visa status. All you have to do is follow the rules for your own visa type.

Maintaining Valid Visa Status

To maintain visa status, students must follow a few simple regulations:

Cornell graduate students at work in a lab; two women in headscarves