Off-Campus Work Authorization for J1 Students on Cornell Issued DS-2019s (called "Academic Training")
J1 student academic training is a type of employment directly related to your major area of study that is authorized by your J1 program sponsor who issues your DS-2019 form. It is designed for students to apply knowledge and skills learned at school. If your DS-2019 form was issued by an agency other than Cornell, you need to ask your sponsoring agency whether you can apply for J1 Academic Training.
All J1 students on a Cornell issued DS-2019, who are in degree or non-degree programs, may apply for academic training either during the course of study or after completion of studies. J1 students may work part-time while school is in session and full-time during the summer and winter breaks.
To qualify for J1 academic training, you must first obtain approval in writing from International Services. If your J1 sponsor is another agency, you need to ask your sponsoring agency whether you can apply for J1 academic training.
To be eligible:
1) You must be in good academic standing at Cornell.
2) The proposed employment must be directly related to your major field of study as confirmed by your academic advisor.
1) Your academic training may not exceed the amount of time it took for you to complete your full course of study, or 18 months, whichever is shorter. If you receive a PhD, however, your post-doctoral training may last as long as 36 months.
2) Part-time employment for "academic training" counts against the 18 or 36 month limit the same as full-time employment.
3) You may have only one opportunity for academic training regardless how many degrees you receive.
4) Academic training before completion of studies will be deducted from the total 18 or 36 months.
1) You must apply for academic training before the ending date on your DS-2019 and the job must begin no more than 30 days after you complete your program.
2) You will need a job offer letter from your prospective employer on company letterhead.
3) Print out the Academic Training application, fill it your part, have your academic advisor fill out their section.
4) Bring the job offer letter and the application to the ISSO and speak to the advisor on duty.
5) The ISSO advisor will give you an updated DS-2019 form and a letter authorizing the employment.