F1 Internships: CPT

F1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training enables F1 Students to be paid for off-campus work in your major field (minors don't count). CPT can be used for internships or other work that is either REQUIRED by the degree program (as defined in the course catalog) or if you receive academic credit in an independent study or course that uses the employment experience as research for a paper or project. You may apply for CPT if you who have been enrolled in your academic program for a full academic year (two full semesters), and you have valid F1 status. Usually for summer employment, students take the course for credit in the following fall semester.

The time you spend on Curricular Practical Training (CPT) will not be deducted from your 12 months of Optional Practical Training after graduation as long as you use less than 12 months of full-time CPT.

Watch a short video on F1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

How to Apply


  • Print the CPT application packet here or pick it up from the ISSO.
  • Ask your academic advisor, course professor or co-op office to fill out the CPT application form. Your advisor must fill out this form, not you. (NOTE: If you are taking NMI 5100, LAW 6730 or NMI 5990, your approval email serves in the place of this academic advisor form—you do NOT need both.)


  • Submit your completed application to the ISSO at least two weeks before you plan on beginning your job. It may take the ISSO a few days to produce the new I-20.

Professional Students in Law, JGSM, or ILR (masters in ILR)

For Law, JGSM or ILR students, there are internship courses specifically for you that allow for Curricular Practical Training. Please follow the link related to your program below (or to the left). You must register for these courses online starting in late-February.