Bringing Spouse or Children

To bring your spouse or child(ren) to the United States during your degree program, F1 and J1 students need to obtain a new Form I-20 / DS-2019 for your dependents to apply for F2 or J2 visas at the US embassy or consulate. F2 and J2 visas are only for immediate family members (spouse and children). In order for International Services to issue the I-20 or DS-2019 for your family, you must show that you have the extra financial support to support them for the entire period of time expected to complete the degree or two full years, whichever is shorter. In other words, for those who need more than two years to complete your degree program, you only need to provide evidence of financial support for two years.

You will need to fill out the F2/J2 request form, get proof of financial support, and bring these completed documents to the ISSO.

Minimum required support for one year

  • $14,393 for husband or wife
  • $8,403 for one child
  • $4,200 for each additional child

Financial Support / Proof of Funding

Proof of your funding (depending on the source) may either be a recent bank statement (letter from bank with record of your account) of your bank account(s), or a letter from your academic department with your TA/RA funding details, or a letter from your sponsor saying they will support you along with copies of their bank statements. If your parents or your parents-in-law or other family members will support you, you need to bring a letter from them stating their willingness to support you along with copies of their bank statements.