Extend Your Status

F1 / J1 Student Extension of I-20 / DS-2019

Print F1 and J1 Student Extension of I-20 or DS-2019 application

Apply BEFORE the end date of your I-20 / DS-2019

In order to complete your studies at Cornell, and maintain your legal status in the US you must apply for an extension of your I-20 or DS-2019 before the program end date listed on that form. If you do not apply before the end date, you will be out of status.

How to Apply

You may print the F1 or J1 student extension application above or pick it up at the ISSO.

Bring the following to the ISSO and sign in to speak with an advisor (if you are outside the US, you may email scanned documents to the ISSO):

  1. Application form completed by your academic adviser
  2. Proof of your financial support for the entire period of your extension (an award letter, Cornell assistantship letter, bank statement, or sponsor letter). You must show that you have sufficient funding to cover the expenses for the entire period of the extension as listed in the extension application packet. We cannot accept less than the amounts shown.
  3. Graduate students in the following degree programs MUST ALSO obtain the signature of your Graduate Student Services Representative in the graduate school (143 Caldwell Hall):
    PhD, MS, MA
    JSD, Law
    DMA & MFA (Music)
    MFA (English)
    MPS Statistics
    Non-degree graduate students

Extending the visa stamp in your passport

PLEASE NOTE: This procedure will extend your I-20 / DS-2019 but not the visa stamp in your passport. If you have an expired visa stamp in your passport, it is ok to remain in the US but the next time you travel out of the US and need to re-enter, you will still need to apply for a new visa stamp to re-enter the US.